Good Sammy op shops are the public face of our organisation. Our shops collect and sell goods generously donated by the community, and all profits are reinvested to create employment opportunities for Western Australians living with disability.
Within our retail stores we provide a number of those opportunities. We have a team of retail professionals, dedicated and skilled support staff, and generous volunteers, who work alongside people living with disabilities guiding and supporting their daily working tasks and developing their skills. Our customers help our employees by donating, interacting and buying.
We have a wide variety of retail jobs tasks to suit employees of all abilities. From accepting donations and sorting goods, to visual merchandising, tidying, providing customer service and operating the till.
Our aim is to provide employees with a variety of opportunities to progress and develop their skills. We work with employees to understand their goals, which may include progressing to employment outside of Good Sammy.
What is important is that our employees focus on their individual goals, contribute, socialise with their co-workers and customers, make new friends, and feel valued.
Good Sammy donors and customers understand the value of their contribution and the impact our mission has on the wider community. Good Sammy Op Shop customers:
- trust Good Sammy to offer good quality products at a reasonable price
- feel included and important – everyone is welcome here
- know their donated goods and purchases create the income we reinvest into our purpose
- understand the social impact of engaging people in employment – providing motivation, activity, and purpose, (and the associated mental health benefits) and positive impact on families
- engage with the very people their dollars help each time they enter the store, and
- understand the environmental impact of repurposing goods with Good Sammy.
We call this shopping with purpose.