We are so grateful for the difference our volunteers make and we simply cannot survive without their contribution.
Our volunteers are of all ages and backgrounds and we are thrilled when they say how they enjoy giving back, that volunteering gives them purpose and they love meeting new people and making firm friends.
Whether it is offering professional experience or gaining new skills on the job, our volunteers are always willing to help.
We have many opportunities available and welcome new additions to our Good Sammy family.
Want to volunteer? Complete this enquiry form.
Our volunteers choose us for a number of reasons. For some, it's all about helping people who live with disability. Others love what we do in the areas of recycling and waste reduction. Many are passionate about op shopping and what they might find in the sorting process.
Good Sammy volunteers enjoy:
- giving back to the community
- supporting people with disability
- making new friends and being social
- gaining skills and work experience
- assisting the transition into paid employment
- engaging in environmental work, and
- being part of a team.
In return for their support we put on regular morning teas, recognise volunteer contributions through monthly awards and we offer discounts to our Good Sammy shops. It is a small token of how incredibly grateful we are for their contribution to the Good Sammy organisation.
Who can volunteer?
Volunteers will have interactions with our employees who are living with disability. A police clearance is required, along with an NDIS Worker Screening Check. Good Sammy can facilitate this on your behalf.
- Individual volunteers must be able to work independently. If you require a support worker or need guidance when completing tasks, you may be better suited to contact our Academy team who can find the best role for you.
- Businesses. We welcome staff groups of up to 20 people to join Good Sammy for a day of volunteering. (This can also be a great team building exercise!). Group sessions are normally offered in our Canning Vale warehouse. Please contact our volunteers team for further information.
- Professionals or corporations with specialised skills. Good Sammy welcomes volunteers with specific skill sets. For example; skilled tradespeople - plumbers, carpenters, electricians or similar. Business professionals who might assist in areas of finance, human resources, training, safety or marketing are also welcomed.
There is always lots to do at Good Sammy, from sorting and processing goods to volunteering in our marketing, digital and online store. We value the specialised skills, energy and enthusiasm of our volunteers. We have the following volunteer opportunities available:
- Volunteer Retail Assistant
We have opportunities available in 27 of our stores across WA. Tasks include; sorting donations, organising clothes, working on the register, keeping the store clean and tidy. Each store has a team of staff and volunteers who work together to keep our stores running. Volunteering in the retail stores is a great way to gain work experience, and build your retail skills. Each team is also very lovely and welcoming, so if you’re looking for some community involvement, some new friends, or an excuse to get out of the house – this role is perfect for you!
- Volunteer Warehouse Assistant
Our Canning Vale warehouse is a huge operation that takes a lot of people to keep the cogs turning! The warehouse is our central hub where all donations get delivered, and our team of staff and volunteers sort and process everything to get it out to our stores. Volunteering here gives you experience in warehousing and logistics, and is an eye opening experience to all of the hard work that goes in behind the scenes of a large business. Some tasks include: sorting donations, assessing quality of donations, packing shipments, and loading trucks. We also allow volunteers to operate forklifts and machinery if you have the relevant licences and/or qualifications.
- Volunteer Maintenance Assistant
Our Canning Vale site has a maintenance department, who are responsible for maintaining our sites and machinery. Some tasks include: general handyman activities, and repairing machinery and equipment. Anyone with a trade or handyman background would suit this role, or someone who is hands on but wants more experience.
- Volunteer Canteen Assistant
Our Canning Vale site has a canteen, where the team of staff and volunteers prepare and cook morning tea and lunch for 150+ staff. Some tasks include: cutting and preparing food, serving customers, using the register, cleaning, and pack up. This role is great for anyone wanting to gain hospitality skills, or for anyone wanting more social interaction. Our staff love a chat during their breaks so this role has a lot of face to face interaction.
- Volunteer Marketing or eCommerce Assistant
Our marketing team is based out of our Canning Vale office, and always love help from anyone who has a passion for online systems and is tech-savvy. This role helps run our online store, and can assist in taking photos, posting items for sale, and designing social media posts. This is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to offer their creative skills, or gain experience in marketing and photography. This role is office based, and works with a very small team to achieve big outcomes.
How can I get involved?
If you would like to know more about volunteering please contact us today!
Call: 9463 0500
In Store: Drop in to one of our 27 shops and speak to the Store Manager.
Please note: Due to our obligations under the NDIS and Safeguarding Commission, we require all volunteers to obtain and complete the following prior to volunteering with us. We will assist you to organise this.
- National Police Check (within the past 12 months)
- An approved NDIS Worker Screening Check
- NDIS Worker Orientation Module (online disability awareness training)
Our Good Sammy Volunteer team will assist you with information to obtain and complete the above, with any costs paid for by Good Sammy.